Skip to main content

Sky Scraper

There’s something about towers.  My friend Steve visited High Point State Park in New Jersey yesterday.  He posted some pictures of the tower on top of the highest spot in the state.  It looks like a cross between Monty Python and a haunted lighthouse inside.



His post got me to thinking about towers.  Towers are some of the most moody locations for fiction (and some non-fiction) drama.  There’s inherent danger in a tower.  The climbing of a tower always implies threat.

Fear of falling, as my writing partner Elizabeth reminds me, is evident even in young babies that haven’t learned to walk.  We fear the sudden drop.

I used to watch Ghost Hunters on television.  When they visited lighthouses it was always easy to believe in a haunting.  Historically lighthouses were often isolated locations, very lonely and somber.  The thought of being trapped so far away from others suggests tragedy.

One of the early, great stop-motion animation movie monsters, The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms, attacked a lighthouse.  It is the most memorable scene in the movie.  One, at most two, would be the victims, yet it somehow seems the most tragic of all.

I’ve never visited a tower open to the public and not climbed it.  Like a mountain, its being there is excuse enough.  And who, at the top of a tower, doesn’t wonder about what it would be like to jump?  Nature constrains us, thankfully.  But the spooky possibility remains.

Being next to something incredibly large always causes me to shudder.  Reminded of my own insignificance, that large object (it matters not what—ship, mining equipment, or tower) suggests my own insignificance.  No matter the expansiveness of my imagination, hopes, and dreams.

Some writers talk of towers reaching kilometers into the sky.  In science fiction the question is what would be needed to erect such an incredible building.  I’ve heard famous novelists discussing the logistics.  I shiver.


If I’d been there with Steve, I would’ve climbed that tower.  I would have gazed to that far distant horizon visible from the top, and I would have trembled.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dusty

  My, this thing is dusty.   My fans—hi, Mom!—perhaps believe me to have perished in the pandemic.   No, it was nonfiction’s fault. Since the pandemic began I’ve had two nonfiction books published and have written a third.   With a nine-to-five job something’s got to give.   Unfortunately it’s been fiction. Well, the groundhog didn’t see his shadow yesterday, so it must be safe to come out.   I shuffled away the rejection notes and began submitting again.   I’ve got a backlog of weird stories and maybe some new publishers have emerged? The thing is, don’t you just hate it when you’re in the mood to submit and some lit journal has its window for submissions firmly shut?   My last story, “ The Hput, ” was published about three years ago.   Oh, I’ve submitted since then, but with no traction.   Well, it is winter. I’ve got a lot of stories lined up.   I’ve been sending them out again, dreaming of making a dime at what I love doing best.   When you’ve been writing for half a century, you l

Too Much Writing?

  Has this ever happened to you?   Have you written a story that you’ve completely forgot?   Not only completely forgotten, but made unfindable?   I play games with my stories and sometimes the joke’s on me. Okay, I suffer from graphomania.   I write constantly.   I do try to keep organized—I use a spreadsheet that has all my submissions on it.   It has rejection/acceptance dates (mostly rejection).   Lots of information. I decided to list on it every story, whether finished or in process.   There are far too many (mostly in process).   When I finish a story I often submit it.   If I get burned, I’m shy about resubmitting.   I often rewrite at this stage.   Then, when I feel brave enough, I try again. The spreadsheet is color-coded.   There, in the color that indicates finished and ready to submit is a story cryptically titled “The Password.”   I don’t remember this story.   I can’t recall what it was about or why I thought it was ready to publish. Looking through my electronic files,

Gothica

The other day I asked a friend to define “gothic.”  Heavy, dark, supernatural—these were a few of the words suggested.  When autumn comes my thoughts turn gothic, and I’m always looking for good gothic things to read. I have blogged in the past about how reading literature that isn’t great is good.  I’m serious about that.  You can learn a lot by reading poor writing.  Some gothic literature is more the former than the latter.  Like Dark Shadows novels. Dark Shadows was running on daytime television when I was a child.  As a teen I began to read the novelizations, by Marilyn Ross, whenever I could find them.  Belles lettres they’re not.  Gothic, most decidedly so.  That’s why I keep coming back to them.  They aren’t scary.  In fact, they’re formulaic and predictable.  But so, so gothic. Spooky mansions, the Maine woods, forlorn vampire, faded wealth.  Even, yes, dark shadows.  The stories create a mood I find difficult to locate elsewhere. Inspired by the most r