Skip to main content

Pulped Fiction

Have you ever gone to a used book store and found uncorrected proofs for sale?  Some store owners give them away.  In the same store you might find multiple copies of a book that had been a best seller, once upon a time.  It all has to do with how publishing works.

Once a book has been accepted for publication, the publisher has to guess how many might sell.  Although this is an educated guess, it always involves a risk.  A friend in publishing told me that’s way it’s always important to point out a book that is similar to yours.  A unique book is high risk.

For a while there, anything vampires would sell.  I think we might be seeing a kind of dawn rising on the vampire genre (now that I’ve written a vampire novel), but because of the—love it or hate it—success of Stephanie Meyer's Twilight saga, everyone wanted vampires.  They sucked in money.

A traditional publisher will send your manuscript to a copy-editor and then a typesetter.  The author gets proofs, and when production time is near, uncorrected proofs are sent for free to readers for blurbs.  The old name for these was “puffs.”  If an expert likes the book, they say, so should you.

Many of these proofs find their way to second-hand book shops.




A print run is determined.  Like most manufactured items, unit price goes down as quantity goes up.  The lowest print run is determined by the publisher’s margins; margins are profits minus costs.  A book that “makes its margins” earns an overall profit.

Books that fail to do so have a sadder fate.  If the project is an utter flop, the publisher will accept many returns from book sellers and pulp them.  Yup.  They recycle the books.  If a book has made a reasonable profit and might sell more if the price drops, it may be remaindered.

Remaindered books show up on bargain tables in both new and used book stores.  They are sold to stores at cost plus ten percent.  The publisher makes some money off of this, and so does the bookstore.  Most author contracts stipulate that the author doesn’t.  Remaindered books are intended to recoup costs.


In the used book store they may all look the same.  The history of the many books can be quite different.  Since each book is a calculated risk, it pays for authors to know a bit about how the industry works.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pacing

A criticism that I’ve occasionally received concerns pacing.  The short story, which today means up to about 7000 words, is a limited amount of space to establish mood.  My writing partner Elizabeth was reading a Poe short story recently and commented on how long it seemed. We’ve been accustomed, by the internet, to shorten things.  Flash fiction is in.  Say it in 1000 words or less.  What’s the correct pacing for a 300-word story? I’ve been editing a number of my complete, but unpublished, stories lately.  I’m trying to bring the word counts down.  I don’t want to be thought of as a plodding writer.  At the same time, I’m no action writer.  My stories are thoughtful. Some time ago I started reading Anne Rice’s Interview with the Vampire .  Dark, moody, and sensuous, this is a slow-paced novel.  Focusing on subtleties and emotions, she paints a writerly picture of the inner life of the undead. If I were an editor to...

Small Town

I was born in a small town.  That’s not a quote from John Cougar Mellencamp; it’s the truth.  My hometown, which shall remain nameless here since it is sometimes easy to identify a person by such a small place, is who I am.  We are defined by where we’re from. After spending my first decade, which I didn’t realize was a decade at the time, in my hometown we moved.  We moved to an even smaller town.  A community of less than a thousand.  Industrial, dirty, and drug-ridden.  I began to write. Like most restless minds in small towns, I wanted to escape.  When I first saw the city, I was enamored.  So many people.  So much excitement.  So little community. This week I received the happy news that my story “Prom Night Redux” was accepted for publication by Exterminating Angel Press: the Magazine .  (More details to follow.) The story is close to my heart.  It is a story about being from a small town and wanting...

Novel Thoughts

  I’ve been quiet for a while because I was working on a novel.   I’ve written novels before; seven of them.   Thing is, they’ve never been published.   One was under contract and then cancelled.   Now it’s under consideration again.   The other six are very patient. In addition to these novels, I’ve also written a nonfiction manuscript using my pen name.   It’s not published either.   The reason for this cross-over is that my current employment might become my past job if anyone read this piece.   Best to keep my identity false. Long-form writing is something I enjoy doing.   I do want some of the novels to be published, but it seems that you have to have someone take a chance on one before anyone will bother to look at another.   Such is the writing life. Just a thought, but for my fiction you need to give it a little time.   The first page might not snatch you, but the stories draw you in.   I read novels like that. ...