Skip to main content

The Price of Authenticity

I’m working on a steampunk novel.  Although none of my other novels have yet found a publisher, one of them has been submitted to an agent and I sit with my fingers so tightly crossed that typing is difficult.  The Passion of the Titans, as it was originally called, had been accepted for publication only to have the indie press renege on its contract.  So it goes.

This isn’t about that.

My current project is all about gears and corsets and gentlemen adventurers.  There’s a dirigible, of course.  And absinthe.  What is steampunk without absinthe?

As the child of a professional alcoholic, controlled substances take on a dark cast in my mind.  I overcame my fear of beer over a Guinness in a crowded bar in Boston while studying for a master’s degree in one of the many schools in the city.  I still don’t drink to excess, but my former enemy has become an occasional friend.

But absinthe.  Once claimed to be psychotropic, it was illegal in the United States until just seven years ago.  Now it is known to be just another spirit, strong, but salable.  And pricey.

A sense of profound naughtiness accompanies every trip to the liquor store.  I’m no street corner lush, and my expenditure on drink is very modest.  Shyly I had to ask about absinthe.  It isn’t easily found.  A single bottle will set you back more than a Jackson.

Feeling like a kid skipping high school for a bender, I drove the bottle home and set it on the counter in wonder, afraid to touch.  This was an expensive experiment.

Absinthe is prepared by trickling cold water over a sugar cube set on a special slotted spoon above the liquor.  The spoon that came with the bottle was cheap.  The smell of anise rose headily from the glass.  The green fairy.


One glass and I’m steaming punk like it’s nobody’s business.  And given my success rate, it probably isn’t.  Someday I’ll finish my steampunk novel.  It will go on the shelf next to, I hope, my published version of Boeotian Rhapsody in somebody's reality.  Until then, it may be found in the bottom of a glass under a strangely slotted spoon.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pacing

A criticism that I’ve occasionally received concerns pacing.  The short story, which today means up to about 7000 words, is a limited amount of space to establish mood.  My writing partner Elizabeth was reading a Poe short story recently and commented on how long it seemed. We’ve been accustomed, by the internet, to shorten things.  Flash fiction is in.  Say it in 1000 words or less.  What’s the correct pacing for a 300-word story? I’ve been editing a number of my complete, but unpublished, stories lately.  I’m trying to bring the word counts down.  I don’t want to be thought of as a plodding writer.  At the same time, I’m no action writer.  My stories are thoughtful. Some time ago I started reading Anne Rice’s Interview with the Vampire .  Dark, moody, and sensuous, this is a slow-paced novel.  Focusing on subtleties and emotions, she paints a writerly picture of the inner life of the undead. If I were an editor to...

Small Town

I was born in a small town.  That’s not a quote from John Cougar Mellencamp; it’s the truth.  My hometown, which shall remain nameless here since it is sometimes easy to identify a person by such a small place, is who I am.  We are defined by where we’re from. After spending my first decade, which I didn’t realize was a decade at the time, in my hometown we moved.  We moved to an even smaller town.  A community of less than a thousand.  Industrial, dirty, and drug-ridden.  I began to write. Like most restless minds in small towns, I wanted to escape.  When I first saw the city, I was enamored.  So many people.  So much excitement.  So little community. This week I received the happy news that my story “Prom Night Redux” was accepted for publication by Exterminating Angel Press: the Magazine .  (More details to follow.) The story is close to my heart.  It is a story about being from a small town and wanting...

Novel Thoughts

  I’ve been quiet for a while because I was working on a novel.   I’ve written novels before; seven of them.   Thing is, they’ve never been published.   One was under contract and then cancelled.   Now it’s under consideration again.   The other six are very patient. In addition to these novels, I’ve also written a nonfiction manuscript using my pen name.   It’s not published either.   The reason for this cross-over is that my current employment might become my past job if anyone read this piece.   Best to keep my identity false. Long-form writing is something I enjoy doing.   I do want some of the novels to be published, but it seems that you have to have someone take a chance on one before anyone will bother to look at another.   Such is the writing life. Just a thought, but for my fiction you need to give it a little time.   The first page might not snatch you, but the stories draw you in.   I read novels like that. ...