Skip to main content

Noise and Signal

I add posts to this blog too infrequently.  The reason: distractions.  The largest one, without question, is work.  Day-to-day routine is hardly conducive to a truly creative life.  Still, its often on my mind.

Number two distraction: the world-wide-web itself.  It used to be that writing came in paper form.   Even in hardcopy, though, you had to sort the signal from noise.  There were choices to be made.  When I was a child Ripley’s Believe It or Not featured a man—I can’t remember who—that was the last person to have read every printed book.

Well, I kind of doubt that.  Maybe he read every printed book available in Europe.  Other languages, such as Chinese, had been printed from an early time.  In any case, that period is passed.  All reading involves a choice.

Talking with my writing partner Fantasia, I once asked about how a story she was working on was coming along.  She admitted to having been distracted by the web.  Yes, rightly it is named so.  Not only unedited writing, but pictures and videos and music, constant and inexorable, never ceasing.  Web without end.

Many writers insist that good writing derives from good reading.  Having read even some of what has been through an editor’s fingers, I sometimes wonder what makes a work good.  Surely it is subjective.  Can it be measured by the numbers?

In terms of sales, Stephen King or James Patterson would seem to be the goals for good writers.  But is writing prolifically to make a living the creation of literature, or simply another capitalist throw-away?  I like much of Stephen King’s work, but publishing a book or more per year seems just a touch selfish to me.



So much noise.  So little signal.  When I sit down to read, I like it to be behind a paper book.  That way at least some of the noise is reduced.  I hope the signal makes it through to my own writing.


Even while I advocate for the signal, I participate in the noise.  Maybe that’s why I post so infrequently.  At least it makes me sound noble, so I guess I’m going with that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pacing

A criticism that I’ve occasionally received concerns pacing.  The short story, which today means up to about 7000 words, is a limited amount of space to establish mood.  My writing partner Elizabeth was reading a Poe short story recently and commented on how long it seemed. We’ve been accustomed, by the internet, to shorten things.  Flash fiction is in.  Say it in 1000 words or less.  What’s the correct pacing for a 300-word story? I’ve been editing a number of my complete, but unpublished, stories lately.  I’m trying to bring the word counts down.  I don’t want to be thought of as a plodding writer.  At the same time, I’m no action writer.  My stories are thoughtful. Some time ago I started reading Anne Rice’s Interview with the Vampire .  Dark, moody, and sensuous, this is a slow-paced novel.  Focusing on subtleties and emotions, she paints a writerly picture of the inner life of the undead. If I were an editor to...

Small Town

I was born in a small town.  That’s not a quote from John Cougar Mellencamp; it’s the truth.  My hometown, which shall remain nameless here since it is sometimes easy to identify a person by such a small place, is who I am.  We are defined by where we’re from. After spending my first decade, which I didn’t realize was a decade at the time, in my hometown we moved.  We moved to an even smaller town.  A community of less than a thousand.  Industrial, dirty, and drug-ridden.  I began to write. Like most restless minds in small towns, I wanted to escape.  When I first saw the city, I was enamored.  So many people.  So much excitement.  So little community. This week I received the happy news that my story “Prom Night Redux” was accepted for publication by Exterminating Angel Press: the Magazine .  (More details to follow.) The story is close to my heart.  It is a story about being from a small town and wanting...

Novel Thoughts

  I’ve been quiet for a while because I was working on a novel.   I’ve written novels before; seven of them.   Thing is, they’ve never been published.   One was under contract and then cancelled.   Now it’s under consideration again.   The other six are very patient. In addition to these novels, I’ve also written a nonfiction manuscript using my pen name.   It’s not published either.   The reason for this cross-over is that my current employment might become my past job if anyone read this piece.   Best to keep my identity false. Long-form writing is something I enjoy doing.   I do want some of the novels to be published, but it seems that you have to have someone take a chance on one before anyone will bother to look at another.   Such is the writing life. Just a thought, but for my fiction you need to give it a little time.   The first page might not snatch you, but the stories draw you in.   I read novels like that. ...