Skip to main content

Pseudepigrapha

 Scholars have a fancy name for ancient texts that claim to have been written by someone who clearly isn’t the author.  The word is “pseudepigrapha.”  It’s a way of admitting that we know who didn’t write something, but we’re not fooled by the attribution.


The modern equivalent, to some extent, is the pseudonym.  The pen name.  Nom de plume.  Nom de guerre.  Assumed name.  Alias.  Most pen names can be traced to an author’s real name by those very interested.  Even famous writers use them.  For many reasons.


Stephen King, for instance, even after becoming famous, has written under a pen name from time-to-time.  And J. K. Rowling used her initials so that it wouldn’t be obvious she was a woman.  Those of us who make a living doing something else sometimes use pseudonyms because of our jobs.  That’s why I do it.


Now that my first novel is under contract with Parisian Phoenix, I’ve been thinking about the challenges of promoting your work when you use a nom de plume.  It isn’t easy being pseudepigraphal.



For one thing, how do you do book signings?  I have to stop and remind myself that I’m not famous.  Indeed, locally I know very few people.  Who’d even know who this Marvin really is?


I’m old enough to remember when publishers could do all the marketing and promotion for a book.  Those days passed long ago.  I plan to market and promote my book, but identity online is a bit easier to discover.  Anybody have a pixel I can hide behind?


I’ve been thinking about this for years, but since I couldn’t find a publisher I never had to reach any resolution.  Maybe dark glasses and a fake beard?  And what if I’m no good at disguising my voice.


Ironically, I write to express myself.  In the corporate world, cogs are valued more than creators.  This hasn’t licked me yet.  I’ll be promoting Interview with the Gorgon next year, and even before.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pacing

A criticism that I’ve occasionally received concerns pacing.  The short story, which today means up to about 7000 words, is a limited amount of space to establish mood.  My writing partner Elizabeth was reading a Poe short story recently and commented on how long it seemed. We’ve been accustomed, by the internet, to shorten things.  Flash fiction is in.  Say it in 1000 words or less.  What’s the correct pacing for a 300-word story? I’ve been editing a number of my complete, but unpublished, stories lately.  I’m trying to bring the word counts down.  I don’t want to be thought of as a plodding writer.  At the same time, I’m no action writer.  My stories are thoughtful. Some time ago I started reading Anne Rice’s Interview with the Vampire .  Dark, moody, and sensuous, this is a slow-paced novel.  Focusing on subtleties and emotions, she paints a writerly picture of the inner life of the undead. If I were an editor to...

Small Town

I was born in a small town.  That’s not a quote from John Cougar Mellencamp; it’s the truth.  My hometown, which shall remain nameless here since it is sometimes easy to identify a person by such a small place, is who I am.  We are defined by where we’re from. After spending my first decade, which I didn’t realize was a decade at the time, in my hometown we moved.  We moved to an even smaller town.  A community of less than a thousand.  Industrial, dirty, and drug-ridden.  I began to write. Like most restless minds in small towns, I wanted to escape.  When I first saw the city, I was enamored.  So many people.  So much excitement.  So little community. This week I received the happy news that my story “Prom Night Redux” was accepted for publication by Exterminating Angel Press: the Magazine .  (More details to follow.) The story is close to my heart.  It is a story about being from a small town and wanting...

Novel Thoughts

  I’ve been quiet for a while because I was working on a novel.   I’ve written novels before; seven of them.   Thing is, they’ve never been published.   One was under contract and then cancelled.   Now it’s under consideration again.   The other six are very patient. In addition to these novels, I’ve also written a nonfiction manuscript using my pen name.   It’s not published either.   The reason for this cross-over is that my current employment might become my past job if anyone read this piece.   Best to keep my identity false. Long-form writing is something I enjoy doing.   I do want some of the novels to be published, but it seems that you have to have someone take a chance on one before anyone will bother to look at another.   Such is the writing life. Just a thought, but for my fiction you need to give it a little time.   The first page might not snatch you, but the stories draw you in.   I read novels like that. ...