Skip to main content

Nothing Like It

 There’s no feeling like it.  Finishing a story that you know is good.  You’re ready to send it to a publisher right away.  But then you hesitate.


You’ve received so many rejection notes but each one stabs you afresh when another one comes.  Still, you know this story’s good.  You’ve managed to do something different than you usually do.  Will they, can they appreciate it for what it is?


I’ve managed to have thirty stories published—averaging one per every two years I’ve been on this planet.  The rejection numbers are beyond a one-to-one correspondence.  And yet, I know this story’s good.


Fiction publishing’s all about convincing some editor you don’t know that you do know.  You know your own writing.  I write many stories that aren’t publishable.  Writing’s that way.  When I do manage a good one I’m like a kid on Christmas morning.


It takes thick skin, they say, to be a writer.  My question is should it?  Of course, there are lots of would-be writers out there.  You’d think a guy my age might have some observations about life to share.  In fictional form.





There’s always an element of struggle to it.  Quite often I go back and re-edit my stuff.  I edit stories before ever submitting them.  I do tend to work in isolation, so nobody else reads them before I move them on.  That’s one burden of using a nom de guerre.  (People I know wouldn’t be accepting of my fictional thoughts.)


I know lots of editors—mostly of nonfiction.  One thing they tell me is that other eyes should see writing.  Often those eyes end up being of the editor her or himself.  And if they spot too much wrong, the rejection letter follows naturally enough.


I sometimes wonder if they’ve forgotten the excitement.  The thrill of writing something they know is good.  There’s nothing like it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pacing

A criticism that I’ve occasionally received concerns pacing.  The short story, which today means up to about 7000 words, is a limited amount of space to establish mood.  My writing partner Elizabeth was reading a Poe short story recently and commented on how long it seemed. We’ve been accustomed, by the internet, to shorten things.  Flash fiction is in.  Say it in 1000 words or less.  What’s the correct pacing for a 300-word story? I’ve been editing a number of my complete, but unpublished, stories lately.  I’m trying to bring the word counts down.  I don’t want to be thought of as a plodding writer.  At the same time, I’m no action writer.  My stories are thoughtful. Some time ago I started reading Anne Rice’s Interview with the Vampire .  Dark, moody, and sensuous, this is a slow-paced novel.  Focusing on subtleties and emotions, she paints a writerly picture of the inner life of the undead. If I were an editor to...

Small Town

I was born in a small town.  That’s not a quote from John Cougar Mellencamp; it’s the truth.  My hometown, which shall remain nameless here since it is sometimes easy to identify a person by such a small place, is who I am.  We are defined by where we’re from. After spending my first decade, which I didn’t realize was a decade at the time, in my hometown we moved.  We moved to an even smaller town.  A community of less than a thousand.  Industrial, dirty, and drug-ridden.  I began to write. Like most restless minds in small towns, I wanted to escape.  When I first saw the city, I was enamored.  So many people.  So much excitement.  So little community. This week I received the happy news that my story “Prom Night Redux” was accepted for publication by Exterminating Angel Press: the Magazine .  (More details to follow.) The story is close to my heart.  It is a story about being from a small town and wanting...

Novel Thoughts

  I’ve been quiet for a while because I was working on a novel.   I’ve written novels before; seven of them.   Thing is, they’ve never been published.   One was under contract and then cancelled.   Now it’s under consideration again.   The other six are very patient. In addition to these novels, I’ve also written a nonfiction manuscript using my pen name.   It’s not published either.   The reason for this cross-over is that my current employment might become my past job if anyone read this piece.   Best to keep my identity false. Long-form writing is something I enjoy doing.   I do want some of the novels to be published, but it seems that you have to have someone take a chance on one before anyone will bother to look at another.   Such is the writing life. Just a thought, but for my fiction you need to give it a little time.   The first page might not snatch you, but the stories draw you in.   I read novels like that. ...