Skip to main content

Inventing Vermit


From the earliest days writers have invented words.  Two of the masters in this art were Shakespeare and Dr. Seuss.  I should, of course, add Lewis Carroll.  Those who live by the word, die by the word.  It seems only fair that they should help create their own means of execution.

My writing partner Fantasia and I like to discuss words we’ve invented.  I pepper them into my stories, and since publishers tend to eschew truly creative works, most of the heat is felt by me alone.  It’s truly sad, because, in the most modest way possible, I like to think that some of those words add flavor as well as heat.

Some time ago I began keeping a list of invented words I’d used, or intended to use.  Since my stories are about as likely to see publication as the Whig party is to win in 2016, it seems fitting to share a few of my favorites.  



One class of made up word I use is the modified real word. An example of this occurs in my story “Initiating an Apocalypse” where the word “toiletal” occurs.  I do hope to get this story published some day, as it is quite fun, but at least three publishers disagree with me on that point.  Flunt.

The meaning of the majority of my invented words remains with me, however, and reading them in context, like a good philologist, will clarify their function.  Younce, jorg, twost, ascleir, and tuckle are examples.  Of course, some of them may have been invented before, but I’ve never read them.

Publishers fear what they can’t understand.  Writers invent vermit.  Who are the really creative ones here?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pacing

A criticism that I’ve occasionally received concerns pacing.  The short story, which today means up to about 7000 words, is a limited amount of space to establish mood.  My writing partner Elizabeth was reading a Poe short story recently and commented on how long it seemed. We’ve been accustomed, by the internet, to shorten things.  Flash fiction is in.  Say it in 1000 words or less.  What’s the correct pacing for a 300-word story? I’ve been editing a number of my complete, but unpublished, stories lately.  I’m trying to bring the word counts down.  I don’t want to be thought of as a plodding writer.  At the same time, I’m no action writer.  My stories are thoughtful. Some time ago I started reading Anne Rice’s Interview with the Vampire .  Dark, moody, and sensuous, this is a slow-paced novel.  Focusing on subtleties and emotions, she paints a writerly picture of the inner life of the undead. If I were an editor to...

Small Town

I was born in a small town.  That’s not a quote from John Cougar Mellencamp; it’s the truth.  My hometown, which shall remain nameless here since it is sometimes easy to identify a person by such a small place, is who I am.  We are defined by where we’re from. After spending my first decade, which I didn’t realize was a decade at the time, in my hometown we moved.  We moved to an even smaller town.  A community of less than a thousand.  Industrial, dirty, and drug-ridden.  I began to write. Like most restless minds in small towns, I wanted to escape.  When I first saw the city, I was enamored.  So many people.  So much excitement.  So little community. This week I received the happy news that my story “Prom Night Redux” was accepted for publication by Exterminating Angel Press: the Magazine .  (More details to follow.) The story is close to my heart.  It is a story about being from a small town and wanting...

Novel Thoughts

  I’ve been quiet for a while because I was working on a novel.   I’ve written novels before; seven of them.   Thing is, they’ve never been published.   One was under contract and then cancelled.   Now it’s under consideration again.   The other six are very patient. In addition to these novels, I’ve also written a nonfiction manuscript using my pen name.   It’s not published either.   The reason for this cross-over is that my current employment might become my past job if anyone read this piece.   Best to keep my identity false. Long-form writing is something I enjoy doing.   I do want some of the novels to be published, but it seems that you have to have someone take a chance on one before anyone will bother to look at another.   Such is the writing life. Just a thought, but for my fiction you need to give it a little time.   The first page might not snatch you, but the stories draw you in.   I read novels like that. ...