Skip to main content

Part of the Story

An editor once told me, “sometimes the story of the author is more important than the book.”  Of course, he meant that for sales, the story of the author may be more compelling than the book itself.

Many authors’ stories are fascinating.  Today it may be less so, since anyone with a keyboard and wifi access can style him- or herself as a writer.  Looking at Amazon and their number of self-published books, I wonder about the compelling stories.

I read authors’ biographies from time to time.  Some are fairly conventional “so-and-so always wanted to be a writer, etc.”  but many are not.  People like Edgar Allan Poe and Edgar Rice Burroughs struggled  with personal demons all their lives.

Experience comes through in stories.

My best advice to authentic writers is not to major in English.  If you major in English you may learn how to publish and how to craft conventional stories.  My advice: major in life experience.



Without saying too much, my own life has been highly unconventional.  Much of this is masked, intentionally, by the pseudonym I use.  There’s only so much a writer is willing to reveal.  To survive and be able to write, that in itself should attract a publisher.

If it doesn’t, welcome to the world of Poe and Burroughs.  

Burroughs, the inventor of Tarzan, often had difficulty finding publishers.  He established his own press and published his own books.  Even Mark Twain sometimes paid to have his works printed.

What it comes down to, I guess, is that a writer, as self-critical as s/he may be, must believe in her- or himself.  Society will certainly do one no favors in that regard.  We are our own believers.  Our stories are more than our stories.


Life is too valuable not to learn a think or two along the way.  Don’t be afraid to try.  When it comes down to the end of the day, you may be the best selling point for your book.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pacing

A criticism that I’ve occasionally received concerns pacing.  The short story, which today means up to about 7000 words, is a limited amount of space to establish mood.  My writing partner Elizabeth was reading a Poe short story recently and commented on how long it seemed. We’ve been accustomed, by the internet, to shorten things.  Flash fiction is in.  Say it in 1000 words or less.  What’s the correct pacing for a 300-word story? I’ve been editing a number of my complete, but unpublished, stories lately.  I’m trying to bring the word counts down.  I don’t want to be thought of as a plodding writer.  At the same time, I’m no action writer.  My stories are thoughtful. Some time ago I started reading Anne Rice’s Interview with the Vampire .  Dark, moody, and sensuous, this is a slow-paced novel.  Focusing on subtleties and emotions, she paints a writerly picture of the inner life of the undead. If I were an editor to...

Small Town

I was born in a small town.  That’s not a quote from John Cougar Mellencamp; it’s the truth.  My hometown, which shall remain nameless here since it is sometimes easy to identify a person by such a small place, is who I am.  We are defined by where we’re from. After spending my first decade, which I didn’t realize was a decade at the time, in my hometown we moved.  We moved to an even smaller town.  A community of less than a thousand.  Industrial, dirty, and drug-ridden.  I began to write. Like most restless minds in small towns, I wanted to escape.  When I first saw the city, I was enamored.  So many people.  So much excitement.  So little community. This week I received the happy news that my story “Prom Night Redux” was accepted for publication by Exterminating Angel Press: the Magazine .  (More details to follow.) The story is close to my heart.  It is a story about being from a small town and wanting...

Novel Thoughts

  I’ve been quiet for a while because I was working on a novel.   I’ve written novels before; seven of them.   Thing is, they’ve never been published.   One was under contract and then cancelled.   Now it’s under consideration again.   The other six are very patient. In addition to these novels, I’ve also written a nonfiction manuscript using my pen name.   It’s not published either.   The reason for this cross-over is that my current employment might become my past job if anyone read this piece.   Best to keep my identity false. Long-form writing is something I enjoy doing.   I do want some of the novels to be published, but it seems that you have to have someone take a chance on one before anyone will bother to look at another.   Such is the writing life. Just a thought, but for my fiction you need to give it a little time.   The first page might not snatch you, but the stories draw you in.   I read novels like that. ...